Do you wake with joint pain from osteoarthritis? Suffer hayfever? Maybe its daily headaches or debilitating migraines, with nausea and vomiting. Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), including Acupuncture, is an effective form of non-invasive, pain-free treatment.
What is TCM?
TCM is an eastern system of medicine that combines the use of acupuncture, Chinese herbs, food therapy, acupressure, and massage. This science and art of healing has become widely used over the past 2000 years.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture treatment involves the insertion of fine, sterile, single-use, disposable needles into specific sites (acupuncture points) along the body’s energy pathways (meridians) to clear energy blockages and encourage the normal flow of energy, or Qi, through the body.
What can Acupuncture assist with?
According to a review of the current evidence supporting the efficacy of acupuncture (The Acupuncture Evidence Project, 2017) there is:
- Strong evidence supporting the effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of:
- allergic rhinitis (perennial & seasonal),
- knee osteoarthritis,
- chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (with anti-emetics),
- chronic low back pain,
- headache (tension-type and chronic) and
- postoperative pain.
- Moderate evidence supporting the effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of:
- acute low back pain,
- neck pain,
- peri-menopausal and postmenopausal insomnia,
- asthma in adults,
- post-traumatic stress disorder,
- hypertension (with medication),
- irritable bowel syndrome and
- menopausal hot flushes.
What happens during a consult?
During the consultation, you will describe your symptoms, provide a history of illnesses and current medication taken. You may then be asked to show your tongue and your pulse is taken for TCM diagnosis. Treatment usually consists of acupuncture, as well as advice on diet and herbal supplements may be prescribed.
An average consultation lasts 60mins.
Our acupuncturist Ula is a registered member of AACMA, and a registered provider under AHPRA.
To Book Now